We are using a question and answer approach to chapter 12 of Daniel. We now continue…
Q: What might one suppose is the meaning in Daniel 12:4 of “many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase”?
A: It sometimes appears today that many fundamentalist theologians wish to believe that this is a reference to the present, modern age on-earth wherein transportation and knowledge have greatly increased and few understand its impending meaning. However, since all things prophetic are consistently made up of earthly activities which are influenced by and tied to heavenly activities…
…consider this alternative: It speaks of a time when a great many will be stirred up to inquire into Scripture the same way as Daniel was in his reading of Jeremiah and realizing the time of fulfillment of God’s Word was at hand. (Daniel 9) Nothing will be spared in the pursuit of the meaning of Scripture and, with the blessing of God, biblical knowledge will increase and things will appear nearer and plainer than ever. It’s a prelude to fulfilling a condition that will be present in the Millennial Kingdom:
- They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain,
- For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord (but understanding is lacking)
- As the waters cover the sea but will be no more (Revelation 20:1)
JIV NOTE: God created man for his purposes, not ours. We are to communicate with him THEN he will communicate with us through gained knowledge AND understanding. Our response today should be exactly like that of Daniel; to walk constantly in the light and path of the Lord God. Daniel prayed three times a day; none of them had to do with his daily meals.
Read Daniel 12 verses 5-7 (NASB; below)
5. Then I, Daniel, looked and behold, two others were standing, one on this bank of the river and the other on that bank of the river.
6. And one said to the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, “How long will it be until the end of these wonders?”
7. I heard the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, as he raised his right hand and his left toward heaven, and swore by Him who lives forever that it would be for a time, times, and half a time; and as soon as they finish shattering the power of the holy people, all these events will be completed.
Point: This is a general summation of events described of the first few verses in Daniel 12. There are a great many biblical instances of 3-1/2 years or 42 months or 1,260 days. Examples:
- The apostasy of the little horn. Is 3-1/2 years. (Daniel 7:25)
- The holy city is trodden by the Gentiles for 42 months. (Revelation 11:2)
- The beast exercises power for 42 months. (Revelation 13:5)
- The two witnesses preach and have power for 1,260 days, and remain unburied for 3-1/2 days. (Revelation 11:3, 9, 11) THEN to the shock of the entire world, they come back to life and ascend to heaven in view of all.
Just because we know these things occur in Daniel’s 70th week of his Seventy 7’s vision, just because some things it contains last half of a seven does not necessarily mean they have to occur sequentially or exclusively in the first half or the second half of the 7 year tribulation called Jacob’s Trouble. They may overlap in some manner. There are other references that seem to teach us something about these past and pending events.
- Israel halted in the wilderness 42 times. (Numbers 33:1-50)
- The famine and drought brought about through Elijah lasted 3-1/2 years. (Luke 4:25; James 5:17)
- Christ’s earthly ministry lasted for 3-1/2 years.
- The “Man of Sorrows” will be cut off in the midst of the week. (Daniel 9:27)
The most important information for us is the event mentioned at the end of v.7, “as soon as they finish shattering the power of the holy people”. There is a greater sign of spiritual persecution which we should be sensitive to far more than trying to figure out the beginning and end of these or any unspecified and dated periods of time. The greater issue is bearing up spiritually and withstanding persecution. Christ spoke of this in depth in His Olivet Discourse per End Times in Matthew 24, 25. This not only included End Time of anti-Christ but included that it is not just a literal persecution and battle with Israel, but with all Believers. Even though the “comforter” [John 14:12…the giving of the comforter and restrainer Satan; 2 Thessalonians 2:7…present in believers during the Tribulation but no long restraining the evil one]
At this point it might do some good for use to recall Ecclesiastes 10:2…”A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left.”
Read Daniel verses 8-13 (below)
8. As for me, I heard but could not understand; so I said, “My lord, what will be the outcome of these events?”
9. He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for these words are concealed and sealed up until the end time.
10. Many will be purged, purified and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand. (Emphasis mine)
10. Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and be refined, but the wicked shall act wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand.
11. And from the time that the regular burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be 1,290 days.
`12. Blessed is he who waits and arrives at the 1,335 days.
13. “Go your way until the end. You shall rest and will stand in your allotted place at the end of [the] days.
I could not understand (v8)? If Daniel could not understand and then was told to “seal up these words,” the ones he did not understand. Why then do we speculate? Daniel did not understand and was told to seal it up. That is simple to grasp even in our minds today. In a way it is like a time capsule. Things are put into it, sealed, and then stored away in such a manner that it will not be easily retrieved. Once it is retrieved, all will know what it contained and perhaps better said, what it contains. This is Daniel’s time capsule. Following generations from this point in scripture will not know what it means (contains) until the End Time is here.
Go your way (Daniel) until the end. We are given clues and watch lists of things that must happen before the millennial kingdom. Even the evil or lawless one must be revealed. Look at how the church (true believers and followers of Christ) has gradually wandered away from the Church of Acts. Just as Daniel was told in the final verse of his book, we will also stand in our allotted place at the end of [the] days. Which “PLACE” will yours be? A place of good intentions is not redemption.
The next article concludes our Daniel studies; Article #37c.
Our next series will be on the Book of Hosea!
Rev. Dr. Jstark